Warning: these are insanely addictive! Recipe serves 2: 5.5g net carbs per serving with the spicy mayo (4g without it). I make mine in an air fryer, but they’ll get just as crispy in the oven. See below for directions for both methods
If you love the recipe, feel free to follow me on Instagram for more – same username 🙂
– 2 portobello mushroom caps
– 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (use the cheap stuff!)
– 1 tbsp garlic powder
– 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
– 1 egg
– coconut oil cooking spray
– 1/2 cup mayonnaise
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– 1 tsp tomato paste
– 1 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
– 1/2 tsp chilli powder
– 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove the gills from the mushrooms, and slice them into thin pieces.
2. Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk well. Combine the parmesan cheese, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in a separate bowl. Dunk the mushroom slices first into the egg, then into the parmesan mixture and set aside.
3. If baking in the oven, preheat to 400F. Place a rack on a baking sheet, and grease the rack well with cooking spray. Place the mushrooms on the rack, leaving space between each, and bake for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. (If using an air fryer, grease the basket and place the mushrooms in a single layer. “Fry” for 12 minutes at 400F, or your air fryer’s highest temperature – no need to flip).
4. For the spicy mayo, crush the minced garlic with the back of a knife, until it resembles a paste. Combine the garlic, spices, and mayo in a small bowl. Stir in the tomato paste and vinegar, and season to taste.